21) Acme Cannery, 21(a) Thomas Goulding's Cork Mill
22) Japanese Boatworks
23) Vancouver Cannery Donald Farm
24) Vanc. Cannery Store
25) Marine Gas Dock
26) Japanese lived in this area
27) Cannery Wharf
28) Cline Hoggard farm (both sides)
29) Karl Hoggard farm
30) Poplar Tree Stand
31) Mr. & Mrs. Miller
32) Clarence Hoggard farm
33) Mike Murphy farm (best one to work for)
34) Radar Tower WWII
35) McDonald farm
36) Musqueam Indian Res.
37) Tapp Road Subdivision
38) Ralph McDonald Farm
39) Duncan McDonald farm
40) McDonald Beach
41) Cora Brown Subdivision
42) Dick Laing farm
43) Grauer farm
44) Army Barracks WWII
45) Dummy Anti-aircraft Gun (wood pole for barrel)
Map courtesy of Gerry Bicknell
Some of the original patentees of Richmond, B.C. were from Sea Island. The Corporation of the Township of Richmond, BC came into being on November 10, 1879. Letters Patent issued by Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council incorporated Lulu Island and Sea Islands and the inhabitants. Of the few settlers on the Islands, only thirty were entitled to petition (being male land-owners over 21 years of age) and of those, 25 signed the petition:
Dan and A.H. DANIELS (two brothers from England)
J.W. SEXSMITH and his son Charles G
E.A. SHARPE (Edward Albert)
J.G. SMITH (James Gowan)
O.D. SWEET (Orison Davis was a brother-in-law of J W Sexsmith)
Nathan and Dan WOODWARD, (Nathan and his son Dan were residing on Lulu Island in 1901. Source: Henderson's British Columbia Gazetteer and Directory and Mining Companies for 1900-1901).
The Sea Island Heritage Society are compiling a history of all the people who lived on Sea Island between 1900 to date. If you are a descendant of any of the above "patentees' please help us document their family history and memories of Sea Island.
This is a very ambitious project. Also collecting memorabilia, (documents, items and pictures, etc.) Do you have school photos? We have several class registers. We'd like to contact anyone who lived or worked on or had relatives who lived on Sea Island.
The above poem was kindly donated by Mrs. Joni Burdett of Whitehouse, Texas to the Sea Island Heritage Society on July 14, 2010.
Mrs. Burdett is the great granddaughter of John Dinsmore (1847-1935). The poem's author, Mary Florence (Maud) McCubbin (1885-1964) is the oldest daughter of John Dinsmore